Advocates, Widows Rally To Pass 9/11 Health Bill

August 26, 2010

source: Long Island Press     Aug 26, 2010

A group of advocates consisting of 9/11 first responders and the widows of their colleagues gathered in Hauppauge Wednesday to garner support in their fight to get the 9/11 health bill, officially known as the Zadroga Bill, passed through Congress.

Jennifer McNamara, whose husband John logged more than 500 hours at Ground Zero and died of cancer in 2009, expressed her grief and frustration at the rally.  “My husband died believing this bill would pass,” she said, joined by her young son, Jack.

If passed, the bill, named after the late NYPD Detective James Zadroga, would secure $7.4 billion to provide health care and compensation for thousands of first responders suffering from illnesses after working in the toxic rubble following the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. McNamara believes that if the bill had been passed already, her husband may still be alive today.

Read the rest of this entry »


9/11 Justice Delayed is Justice Denied

August 14, 2010

by Bandbsull  source: 9/11 Blogger  Aug 14, 2010 

On July 23, 2010 Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein published an order terminating motions in the 9/11 wrongful death cases of Barbara Keating and Sara Low.

After languishing in his court for years and being told by their attorneys that they had almost no chance of getting a trial on liability, a proposed settlement was proffered in Keating v. American Airlines, Inc. and Low v. U.S. Airways, Inc. Unfortunately the good judge essentially sat on the motions for several months, neither ruling for or against them.

Read the rest of this entry »


Two 9/11 Families are $ettling for More

July 25, 2010

Paying for silence?

source: NY Post   July 25, 2010

The families of two 9/11 victims are apparently poised to reach hefty out-of-court settlements.

Relatives of American Airlines flight attendant Sara Low and United Airlines passenger Barbara Keating plan to withdraw their requests for court approval of deals struck in March, according to legal papers filed yesterday.

Instead, they will file stipulations dismissing their cases in Manhattan federal court, Judge Alvin Hellerstein wrote.

The move would leave just one wrongful-death suit, that involving Los Angeles King hockey scout Mark Bavis, a passenger on United Flight 175. More than 90 families received a total $500 million in damages.


9/11 Families Turn to High Court for Burial Rights

July 16, 2010

source: Religion News  July 16, 2010

Charging that its constitutional due process and religious freedom rights have been violated, a group of families of 9/11 victims has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to force New York City to move more than a million tons of World Trade Center debris from atop a garbage heap at the Fresh Kills landfill

more at source for site members


9/11 Victims Families and 9/11 Financing Suit Judge at Odds

June 14, 2010

Nor Cal Truth    June 14, 2010

A legal case for 9/11 families that is not related to the case before Judge Hellerstein has either come close to resolution, or the judge may be replaced soon. From the New York Times:

Lawyers for families of 9/11 victims have taken the unusual legal step of asking a federal appeals court in Manhattan to replace a judge overseeing a group of terrorism-financing lawsuits, saying he is moving too slowly in resolving key motions.

The judge, George B. Daniels of Federal District Court in Manhattan, has yet to rule on almost 100 motions by defendants to dismiss the case, the lawyers said in a petition to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

The lawsuits before Judge Daniels seek to hold charities, financial institutions and other defendants responsible for providing money and other support to Al Qaeda and for the 9/11 attacks. The suits were originally consolidated before another judge, Richard Conway Casey; after Judge Casey’s death in 2007, the case was transferred to Judge Daniels.

Read the rest of this entry »


9/11 Families Blast Kagan

May 17, 2010

This Week in 9/11 (March 29 – April 4)

April 4, 2010

April 4, 2010

A summary of news relating to 9/11/01 - For the week of March 29 through April 4, 2010. (Last week is here)

In the last couple of weeks the official version of the 9/11 attacks has continued to disintegrate. From the ACLU documents revealing that the 9/11 Commission had certain lines that it should not cross as ordered by Rumsfeld, Tenet, and Ashcroft to a Judge ordering the freedom of a Guantanamo detainee who has been held for 10 years without proper evidence to convict or hold him at all.

This week the case against one of the highest ranking detainee’s held in Guantanamo Bay for crimes relating to 9/11  has almost been completely withdrawn. His name is Abu Zubaydah, and  Jason Leopold at Truthout had this to report:

In a federal court filing, Justice backed away from the Bush administration’s statements that Zubaydah was the No. 2 or No. 3 official in al-Qaeda who had helped plan the 9/11 attacks, as well as even earlier claims from the Clinton administration that he was directly involved in planning the 1998 embassy bombings in East Africa.

The original Pdf document may be downloaded here for anyone who is building a case or spreading awareness. Leopold continues with this:

For the first time, the government officially admitted that Zubaydah did not have “any direct role in or advance knowledge of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001,” and was neither a “member” of al-Qaeda nor “formally” identified with the terrorist organization.

Apparently this guy was waterboarded at least 80 times. Is this the National Security that people are paying for with their tax-dollars?

The 9/11 victims family members have issued a statement to President Obama asking that he hold the 9/11 trials in a civilian court, here in the United States. Obama has not issued a formal response. The trials, if held in a civilian court, would be legal, responsible, moral, and generally more open to public scrutiny than a Military Commission held at Guantanamo Bay.

Ed Asner, famous actor and President of the Screen Actors Guild, also  a prominent supporter of Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth, had a commercial hit New York television sets this week. The ad ran on New York 1, for a couple of slots and had great footage of World Trade Center #7 and discussed the peer-reviewed thermite paper. See the Ed Asner ad right here.

Read the rest of this entry »


City to Sift Again for 9/11 Remains

March 27, 2010

We are close to 9 years after the fact. The victim’s families (that I know of)  did not push for this effort; the article states that families “received notice yesterday” of the “sifting operation.” Things I wonder:

  • Who is paying for this 1.4 million dollar contract?
  • Who issued the contract and who bid, along with who won the bidding, for the contract.
  • What tools will be used in the sifitng process?
  • Will there be multiple 3rd party witnesses to the sifting process?

source: Staten Island News    March 27, 2010

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Families of 9/11 victims received notice yesterday afternoon that the city will conduct a three-month sifting operation for World Trade Center remains at the shuttered Fresh Kills landfill.

Work will begin on Friday.

“The city is opening a forensic mobile sifting platform at Fresh Kills in Staten Island to thoroughly evaluate the material, using the same techniques employed during the prior operation at the facility at 11 Water St. in Brooklyn,” states the e-mailed letter, sent by Nazli Parvizi, commissioner of the city Community Affairs Unit.

Some 844 cubic yards of WTC material was excavated over the past two years from the following areas in and around Ground Zero: N.Y. State Route 9A (West Street), Haul Road, Cedar Street, Washington Street, Vesey Street, the rooftop of Fiterman Hall and various subterranean structures, according to an attached memorandum written to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg by Deputy Mayor for Operations Edward Skyler on Jan. 28.

Read the rest of this entry »


Building What?! Day 7

March 23, 2010

Fellow Advocates:

 

March 23, 2010

Thank you for keeping Building What?! going full blast.  Our numbers are high and the simplicity of our message is opening eyes.  Think about it this way: two weeks from today the entire New York City Council and all of their staff will know that 1,100+ architects and engineers are calling for a new investigation into the collapse of World Trade Center Building 7.  Almost all of them will have seen footage of WTC 7, and a vast majority, those capable of being honest with themselves, will know that office fires did not bring it down.  That in itself is a remarkable accomplishment, but more importantly, we are creating the kind of awareness that leads to unforeseeable and uncontrollable developments.  

Read the rest of this entry »


Once Again, The Will of the Voters Is Denied

October 9, 2009

No matter what, 80, 000 New Yorkers still want a new investigation! -ed

Once Again, The Will of the Voters Is Denied

October 9, 2009

Yesterday afternoon, Justice Edward Lehner of the State Supreme Court rubberstamped Referee Louis Crespo’s recommendation that the decision to establish a local commission to investigate the events of September 11th not be put before the voters on November 3rd.

After showing interest in weighing both sides’ arguments in the hearing, the Judge’s short decision gives no indication of having considered the arguments put forth in the Petitioners’ memorandum of law, nor any acknowledgement of the need for a new investigation, which the City of New York callously dismissed as “irrelevant”.

Read the rest of this entry »


‘Rescue Me’ Star Daniel Sunjata Joins 9/11 Protest March

September 28, 2009

A lead actor from the popular FX television show “Rescue Me” joined a large group of 9/11 activists and survivors on Sunday in a march from New York City’s Battery Park to city hall.

During an afternoon rally in the park, Daniel Sunjata, who plays the role of Franco Rivera in the firefighter drama featuring actor Dennis Leary, took the stage with an impassioned call for a new investigation.

The march was held to support the NYC CAN coalition, which is currently engaged in a court battle with city hall over the legality of their ballot measure calling for a new 9/11 investigation.

Read the rest of this entry »


9/11 Family Members, and Survivor File for Re-validation of Citizens’ Signatures with New York State Supreme Court

August 1, 2009
 
NYC CAN News Bulletin – FORWARD WIDELY
July 31, 2009

9/11 Family Members, and Survivor File for Re-validation of Citizens’ Signatures with New York State Supreme Court, following rejection of NYC CAN petition by the City Clerk and Board of Elections

New York City– On Wednesday, several 9/11 victim family members and a survivor took the first step in challenging the City Clerk’s rejection of the NYC CAN petition for a new investigation in New York City. The group filed a Verified Petition/Order to Show Cause with the Supreme Court of the State of New York requesting a review of Board of Election documentation and a ‘special referee’ appointed to re-validate the over 52,000 signatures filed by NYC CAN on June 24th.

The NYC CAN petition was rejected by the City Clerk on Friday, July 24th, a week ago, certifying less than the minimum of 30,000 qualified signatures of electors. This benchmark, according to the Clerk’s office was not met. A ‘qualified elector’ is a registered New York City voter who was eligible to vote in the last election. According to the letter sent by the Clerk to the City Council, the NY Board of Elections validated 26,003 signatures and invalidated 24,664, leaving 1,333 that were not certified.

At a hearing scheduled for Monday, August 3rd, before a Supreme Court Justice, the plaintiffs, representing tens of thousands of concerned New Yorkers who support a new 9/11 investigation, will formally raise their request for an independent review of the Board of Elections findings. If granted by the presiding Justice, a re-validation of the petition signatures by an independent special referee will follow.

Read the rest of this entry »


NYC CAN PETITION BLOCKED BY CITY CLERK: 9/11 FAMILIES, FIRST RESPONDERS AND SURVIVORS TAKE NEW YORK CITY TO COURT

July 29, 2009

source: NYC CAN

SEVENTY THOUSAND New Yorkers signed the NYC CAN petition, raising their voices in support of NYC CAN’s demand for accountability. They have chosen to place the decision to create a new 9/11 investigation – a REAL 9/11 investigation – exactly where it belongs: before the voters of New York City this November. The voices of SEVENTY THOUSAND Americans who believe in democracy and believe that government exists to serve the people – and not the other way around – have been GAGGED by ONE so-called “PUBLIC SERVANT” – The New York City Clerk – who denied the petition and the voice of the people.

Welcome to America. Democracy denied.

Did you REALLY expect those in halls of power to honor the WILL OF THE PEOPLE? Did you expect this demand for accountability to go uncontested by those who have forgotten the very meaning of the word? Perhaps this obstruction of democracy would go unchallenged in THEIR America. Not in OUR America.

9/11 family members, first responders and survivors expected nothing less than business as usual and ARE NOT HAVING IT. They are preparing to take the City of New York to court to challenge the wrongful denial of our right to decide on the creation of a new 9/11 investigation.

Friends, your determination and generosity have brought us to this crucial moment. TRUTH IS AT THE CROSSROADS, DEMOCRACY UNDER FIRE AND THE DEFINING MOMENT IN THE QUEST FOR ACCOUNTABILITY IS UPON US. This is YOUR movement and nothing may bring you closer to attaining truth than NYC CAN. Stand in the light and demand ANSWERS, not in the shadows of those who would deny you such answers.

THE BIG NEWS: the most experienced election lawyer in New York City stands ready to represent the 9/11 families, first responders and survivors in court in an HISTORIC FIGHT FOR DEMOCRACY AND TRUTH. BUT WE DESPERATELY NEED YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. This is your chance – your ONE chance – to stand with the 9/11 families, first responders and survivors, and demand accountability. THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE WORKED FOR, AND WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE IF WE STAND TOGETHER NOW.

Donate over $25 and we’ll mail you a free NYC CAN button. Donate over $50 and you will receive a free NYC CAN button and a well-made NYC CAN t-shirt.

ACT RIGHT NOW. Go to – http://nyccan.org/donate.php – and donate whatever you can to bring the quest for answers to the biggest stage it has ever had: THE NEW YORK CITY BALLOT.

www.NYCCAN.org

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.” Theodore Parker


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 100 other followers